Monday, July 26, 2010

Enough is Enough.


Yesterday in church it seemed every message I heard (and taught) was about service. A lot of you have heard me grumble about some of the service that Paul has done or even that I've been asked to do.
After church Sis. Van came up and talked to us because we mentioned in her class that I have a hard time with this whole service thing. She told me she knows and doesn't miss the feelings that I'm having. She then told me that blessings will come, even though it just seems like a big pain in the rear. Then I started thinking about all our blessings we have in our life. Endless blessings, over and over again. It was so great to have that "duh" moment and realize that Heavenly Father helps us out so much, the least we (or Paul) can do is donate a couple hours on a Saturday morning to help some one in need. Even if we've never even met this person that needs our help.
This quote was part of my lesson yesterday in Young Womens. It's one of those things that you hear a million times, but this time, in this season of my life it really means something totally different and has great significance to me.
"Sometimes the solution is not to change out circumstance but to change our attitude about that circumstance.... God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other in the kingdom."
-President Spencer W. Kimball
So this is me saying that I'm done with the whining. It's really hurt me more than anything and I can feel the repercussions of that. I know people in our ward and other places need service, and I really honestly feel like service is a great thing. So now when Paul gets call at 10/11pm on a Friday night and finds out he needs to organize and/ participate in a move the next morning at 8am (even though we already had plans), I'm just going to bite my lip and say okay. Hopefully soon I wont even have to bite my lip and it will be something I no long am bothered by.

Supposing today were your last day on earth,
The last mile of the journey you've trod;
After all of your struggles, how much are your worth,
How much can you take home to God?
Don't count as possessions your silver and gold,
Tomorrow you leave those behind,
And all that is yours to have and to hold
Is the service you've given mankind.
-Anonymous, as quoted by David O. McKay

4 comments:

Liz said...

It's awesome that you have this mindset now! I know it's hard. Marc had to help with a move a couple weekends ago, and that was the ONLY Saturday he had had off in like a month, and was the only Saturday he would have off for a month to come... and I was really hoping to 1.) sleep in (because Marc gets up with Nate on weekends) and 2.) spend time with my husband. But I knew he was doing service so I couldn't complain in fear that God would smite me. Haha. But, you're doing great. You're an awesome SIL, I'm blessed to have you in my life, and I love you a ton. Hang in there... one day you will look back and realize just how amazing you really are. :)

Sandee said...

Loved that quote! Thanks so much for sharing it! One thing I have learned with the trials in my life, is how much I miss the service Jenner did for the people in our ward. I grumbled about how much time he was away from our family and how much he was asked to do sometimes and made him feel bad like he was choosing that over me. And now I'd give anything to have him off doing a calling or home teaching. It's been a hard lesson for me to learn. And I'm certainly not criticizing anyone for being upset that their husband is away a lot--I really do understand. But, I'm now on the other side and while I love having Jenner around all the time, I miss him being gone too, if you know what I mean. I have a lot of blessings too, though, and I'm glad you shared this experience so I could remember to count those! You. are. fabulous!

Paul & Marlee said...

You two are awesome! Thank you so much! And Thank you for sharing your viewpoints on this,too. I appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

I have to say how proud I am of you Marls! Yes, you are amazing. You won't know how wonderful it makes me feel, swells my heart with joy, to see who you have become, and are becoming, until Abby (and the rest of the kids you will have one day) begin to say the kinds of things you say now. What a blessing, what a fulfilment of hope and faith, to have your child learn the sweet lessons of life. Thank you for sharing.

I love you,
mom